The benefits of having a CASp survey of your business or property far outweigh the costs of expensive law suits. Having a CASp survey will not only protect you from frivolous law suits but can increase sales. Approximately 20% of the US population has a disability. By making your business accessible to everyone you will increase revenues.
If a CASp survey of your property is done before any litigation is filed having a CASp inspection and report offers certain legal advantages. With these special legal rights a business can request a 90 day stay in a lawsuit which prevents the plaintiff’s attorney from incurring legal fees during the stay. This will give the business time to decide what to do.
It also affords a business an early evaluation conference (EEC) with a judge or commissioner who has received specialized training in accessibility laws and requirements. This is similar to a settlement conference encouraging early settlement of the case before large costs are incurred.
Most importantly, the minimum statutory liability amounts are reduced by 75%. Currently the fines are $4,000 per offense, which will be reduced to $1,000 per offense if the violations are corrected within certain time periods.
There are also tax incentives that allow a business to receive a tax credit and tax deduction which will help cover the cost of making accessible improvements. These include the Disabled Tax Credit and the Architectural and Transportation Barrier Removal Tax Deduction.
Properties that have been CASp inspected will be issued a certificate, regardless of whether there are violations noted, which can be displayed on their window. So even if a site is not yet compliant a CASp certificate can be posted on a store window to deter litigants looking for an easy target.
- The benefits of having a CASp survey far outweigh the costs of expensive law suits.
- Approximately 20% of the US population has a disability.
- Making your business accessible to everyone will increase your revenues.
- Having a CASp survey offers your business special legal rights.
- ADA violation liability amounts are reduced by 75%, from $4000 to $1000.
- Businesses can request a 90 stay in a lawsuit.
- Businesses are afforded an Early Evaluation Conference where the case can be resolved before incurring high costs going forward towards trial.
- Special tax incentives are available to help cover the costs of making accessible improvements.
- Window certificates will be issued deterring litigants looking for an easy target.